This theatre was constructed from 1881 to 1882 at the former location of Brno’s city walls. The Architectural design of this building combines the styles of the Neo-Baroque, Neo-Classicism and Neo-Renaissance eras. Hermann Hellner and Ferdinand Fellner were amongst the 1st architectural designers of this theatre. The building’s entrance is adorned with the Corinthian and Tuscan sculptures, columns and a Dionysus statue in the centre, standing within a lion and panther drew carriage.
This was the 1st theatre on the continent of Europe to be completely equipped with electrical lighting. Thomas Edison himself actually visited Brno to set up and install the electrical lighting.